In 1948, Robert Hartman began selling stapling equipment from his garage in Bethel Park, Pennsylvania. What began out of necessity soon fueled an entrepreneurial spirit and a much larger enterprise was established. Just two short years later, in 1950, the Robert L Hartman Company eventually grew large enough to move to a building located on Preble Avenue in the North Side of Pittsburgh. Another period of growth landed Hartman on Samsonia Street, now home to the Mattress Factory art museum.
While the main product line at Hartman was the tools and staples used in industrial packaging, Bob also sold bulk nails to the construction industry. The post WWII construction boom opened the doors to further product expansion with the company selling the tools used for construction as well as the fasteners.
In 1960, the company expanded again and moved to the Madison Avenue location where it remained until the move to 93 Mayview Road, Hartman’s current location.
1983 brought about another change when Allen Hartman became president and took ownership of the company. Under Allen, relationships with Bosch, Prebena, Simpson Strong-Tie, DeWalt and other key manufacturers were developed. Hartman Independent Company has also maintained close ties to Paslode(r), Signode, BeA, and Senco.
In 2010, Hartman became the only Bosch Systems Specialist in Western Pennsylvania and enjoys a strategic partnership with Bosch Power Tools and Accessories.
Hartman Independent Company is now an industry recognized distributor of packaging and fastening solutions for the construction and industrial markets. Headquartered in Lawrence, PA and with locations in New York and Ohio, Hartman’s goal is delivering high quality products with total customer satisfaction.